Sunday, July 1, 2012

His Eldest Son.



Growing up, I didn't have much time to be with my dad. He used to work abroad and gets home twice every year just to be with us. The rest were spent with my mom, grandma, and sister. So growing up really meant a you're-so-near-yet-so-far type of father-and-son relationship.

For years now I am having a hard time getting along with my dad. Maybe because I didn't get a chance knowing him and that he also didn't have much time knowing his eldest son. But when I entered college, he was very positive and supportive of my decisions and I felt that he was very proud especially when I finished schooling.

I have a 4-year-old little brother. He’s really cute and he loves to play cars and trucks. And Fruit Ninja. Every night after work, he’s being cuddled by my dad. The thing I didn't experience when I was young. So yeah, there’s a pang of jealousy every time I see them playing because I wasn't treated that way.

There are instances when me and my dad argue. Due to whatever small things growing into large ball of anger. But we always manage to end the fight and keep everything cool. No grudge. No, not really.

But today was different.

We had a quick but agitated altercation. It started when I overheard him planning to teach my little brother some shooting lessons the time he grows up. Quite irritated, I confronted him and asked why he plans to do that but he never thought of teaching me. I am 23. Then I started saying things that are a bit hurtful but true. That I feel that his love for me isn't enough. That I grew up without him and it hurts every time I see them being fond with each other. That I was jealous. But I said it was OK. Just to end the fight. I shut myself up lest he might say something I wouldn't like. Then there was a breeze of relief for those are the things I had kept inside for a very long time. And it all exploded just like that. But I don't hate him. He's still my dad. Honestly, I don't feel sorry at all. It's just things are different now than they were two decades ago.

There’s always a time when parents and their children grow apart. Maybe things will stay this way as long as it can. That thick wall of glass between us. And I’m OK with that.

3 comments:

  1. I'd feel the same way if I see my little brother being treated better than I was treated when I was a child.

    It's just sad, reading this post.

    But I commend you for still loving your Dad, and you got a very good point, no matter how you position the earth, reverse its rotation or whatever, he will still be your Dad.

    Good luck bro and be happy always.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is just so sad to read. No matter what, just know that he will be your dad no matter how hard things get. Sometimes, parents can't be what they want to be, simply because maybe they love you so much they don't know the correct way to express this love. I'm glad you worked things out in the end.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete